Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth Certificates
Community Health
Death Certificates
Environmental Health
Household Waste Management
Public Health Services


× Close
Public Works

FAQs (Road Maintenance)

I live on a gravel road. How often is my road graded?

Several factors determine how often a gravel road is graded. The volume of traffic, speed of traffic, and weather conditions heavily affect the condition of the road. Washboards and potholes typically occur on curves and near stop signs. Reduction of speeds can help reduce the washboards in those areas. The District Supervisor responsible for that roadway will periodically check the condition of your roadway and will scheduled the appropriate maintenance. For specific questions on your gravel road, please call 303-660-7480 or email us at [email protected].

I live on a residential gravel road and would like to have it paved. Who do I talk to?

Douglas County has two methods of partnering with residents to pave residential gravel roads. Both require financial participation from property owners benefiting from the improvements. For more information on forming a paving district, please call 303-660-7480 or email us at [email protected].

What causes a pothole in a paved street and how do I report a pothole?

Potholes occur when water permeates the pavement and softens the soil beneath it, creating a depression in the surface of the street. Because freeze/thaw cycles accelerate the process, many potholes surface during the winter and spring months. Please call 303-660-7480 or email us at [email protected].

When does the County sweep the streets?

During the winter months, sand is used to provide traction on snow and ice-packed roads. The County deploys sweepers after snowstorms to remove sand from the streets as quickly as possible. During the non-winter months, streets are swept to remove debris and construction materials.

How do I get a dead tree removed that is within the right-of-way?

Douglas County will remove dead trees within the right-of-way if they pose a health hazard to the public. Property owners, however, are responsible for the removal of dead trees that are within their property. If you would like to report a dead tree within the right-of way, please call 303-660-7480 or email us at [email protected].

My gravel road is dusty. How can I get dust suppressant applied?

The County applies dust suppressant material to heavily traveled gravel roads as budget allows. The budget for dust suppression allows for the treatment of a limited number of residential roadways. The County requires financial participation from residents for the cost of dust suppression material if suppression on additional roads is requested. Residents wanting dust suppressant material applied to their roadway can contact Operations at 303-660-7480 or email us at [email protected].

I have water crossing the sidewalk and into the street and it is forming a layer of algae on the sidewalk in the summer months. What can be done?

Water will often collect and discharge over the sidewalk at a central point, normally near the property line, due to irrigation, sump pump discharge or storm events. When water continuously crosses the sidewalk, algae can form in the summer, and Douglas County installs chase drains where these types of drainage problems exist to drain the water under the sidewalk and into the street. Each problem area is evaluated to determine if a chase drain will alleviate the problem. If you would like the County to evaluate a drainage problem, please call 303-660-7480 or email us at [email protected].