When the design is completed, the initial phase of construction for the Broadway improvements will begin in 2024, utilizing the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) grant funding approved by CDOT in the amount of $1.125 Million. The County will complete the Highlands Ranch Parkway portion of intersection improvements in subsequent phase(s) in 2025.
An interim solution has already been implemented to help improve the Broadway/Highlands Ranch Parkway capacity, reduce delay and improve overall safety for the motoring public, as follows:
- Traffic signal heads were swapped out for northbound, southbound, and westbound directions, to upgraded ‘three-section left-on green arrow only’ signal heads. These upgrades will help to address left turn accident patterns at this very busy intersection.
- Traffic signal timing was also adjusted to accommodate prevailing traffic volumes.
- Existing gore pavement markings were removed to open a new second left turn lane pocket for westbound Highlands Ranch Parkway to southbound Broadway.
- Signs and pavement markings were upgraded to advise drivers of improvements including the R3-8 Double Left Turn sign installed on the mast arm and two left-turn arrows on the roadway.
- Additionally, channelizer lines and double yellow lines were refreshed with paint to complete this transformation.